June 6, 2013
Research Associate – Strain Validation Group (Hayward), CA
Aurora Algae, Inc. leads the world in the development of high performance, sustainable algae-based alternatives that improve the way we live and grow. Our unique algae platform and optimized production and processing methods yield a plethora of low cost, high-value products addressing a number of growing markets in omega-3-rich oils for human nutrition, protein-rich biomass, and biodiesel. For more information about Aurora Algae, Inc., please visitwww.aurorainc.com
Aurora Algae is currently seeking a Research Associate (RA) for our Strain Validation Group.
The RA will assist in research aimed to characterize and validate strains physiological traits. This includes but is not limited to preparing liquid media, sterile techniques, maintaining valuable algal strains, instrumentation setup, maintenance and troubleshooting, and accurate
documentation of experimental results. The RA will also assist with data management, building and utilizing tools for data collection, reduction and visualization. This position will also contribute to project process within scientific discipline through innovative research. Participation in group meetings is required, with some data presentation possible. Algal research experience will be a plus, but not required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Setting up, maintaining and troubleshooting Algae photobioreactors
• Supporting the development of protocols and experimental design.
• Collecting, analyzing, and documenting experimental results.
• Reviewing data in compliance with existing requirements.
• Maintaining a safe and clean working environment.
• Completing of log sheets and laboratory notebooks.
• Performing other related duties as assigned.
Desired Skills & Experience Requirements:
• BS or MS in Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or related field
• 2-5 years’ experience in Lab environment or related experience
• Theoretical knowledge in Biology or related field
• Sterile techniques
• Working knowledge of standard safety protocols
• Self-motivated, reliable, attentive to detail
• Good problem-solving skills
• Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
• Programming experience: R, VBA, MATLAB or Python
• Strong organizational, interpersonal and oral communication skills
Aurora Algae Inc. offer its employees a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, a 401K retirement plan, paid time off and holidays, and a business casual workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer. Aurora Algae is an equal opportunity workplace.
Aurora Algae has developed the solution to growing high-value crops on arid non-productive land, utilizing a proprietary strain of
algae, seawater, sunlight, and CO2. The high oil and protein content of our algae strains allows us to extract a variety of highly competitive products for the nutrition, pharmaceutical, and fuel markets. This revolutionary approach to agriculture is a game-changer that allows us to compete in these lucrative markets, without the limitations that constrain other agricultural producers, such as access to fertile farmland and abundant fresh water.
On LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=5686861
To apply for this job: http://tiny.cc/wjd1ww
More Jobs at Aurora: http://tiny.cc/tfd1ww
Sasha Tozzi (PhD)
Manager of Strain Validation
Aurora Algae, Inc.
3325 Investment Blvd
Hayward, CA 94545
Direct: +1 (510) 266-5074
Cell: +1 (510) 358-0402