(Walk from USC!) Summer Internship with Assemblymember Jones-Sawyer
April 24, 2013
District Office Internship with Assemblymember Jones-Sawyer
Assembly Member Reginald Jones-Sawyer is looking for bright, self-starting, energetic student leaders interested in learning the dynamics of state government. The Assemblymember represents the South Los Angeles district that includes the Los Angeles Coliseum, the California Science Center, the Los Angeles Natural History Museum, and the University of Southern California.
Among the chief roles of the Assemblymember’s district office is to keep the local community connected with the legislative work taking place in the State Assembly in Sacramento. This is accomplished through community based events, constituent correspondence and everyday involvement with the community of the 59th District. Interns will be prepared to provide support to staff with special event, and special projects related to general administrative duties of the office.
- A commitment of 10-35 hrs/week at the District Office in Exposition Park, Los Angeles
- Assisting in research, planning, and attendance (when appropriate) of upcoming events
- Providing accurate information in response to constituent inquiries & community issues
- Assisting with administrative office procedures and telephone inquiries
- Developing a clear knowledge and understanding of functions and practices of the California State Legislature
- Attending special events with the Member and staff, when appropriate
The ideal candidate will have an interest in political science, public policy, public administration, local/state government, community organizing or similar areas of study or career paths. We are looking for young, self-motivated leaders with excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Proficiency in Word and Excel is also desired.
Although unpaid, interns receive important benefits like working directly with elected officials, community leaders and local residents on issues and events related to the 59th Assembly District. Interns may also qualify for internship credit from their university or college, as well as earn letters of recommendation from the Assemblymember and his staff. Parking passes provided for Interns who drive to the office.